I found the perfect recipe for this project through Amiee at It's Overflowing... if you haven't seen her blog yet, be sure to check it out. This DIY was so fun and so easy. Like with the chalkboard paint, I want to go overboard and tint EVERYthing. I have tons of mason jars and I think I am going to do some of those next.
First microwave 3 tablespoons of water for 30 seconds and add your desired amount of food coloring {Amiee recommends the gel kind and thats what I had, so I used that}. Make sure it dissolves fully then add 1/2 cup of Modge Podge. Most people use matte, and I had gloss so I used that and I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. It really just depends on what you like... or if your like me what you have lying around. After you add the MP and mixed well you can add more food coloring for a more vivid color.
Pour the MP mixture into the bottles and swirl it around. Pour the extra from the bottle back into your mixing cup. Turn the bottles upside onto paper towels with something underneath for bleeding and let them drain for 5 or so minutes. I did it for 5, then realized I had huge puddles so I drained for another 3 minutes.
Before draining you can have fun with your mixture by making the color darker as you go, or creating a whole new color to add contrast. I had three blues and then added green to my mixture which made a cool turquoise-y color.
After they have drained, I put them in the oven at a very low setting. I set my oven at 170 for 25 - 30 minutes on the bottom rack. Use oven mitts to take them out- they will be hot!!!
Remove them from the oven and let them cool. Wipe away any build up tackiness at the top. If you want the bottles darker repeat the steps over in the same jar or bottle, but let them cool before your second round.
Then for the last step {and the best step} decorate with them! Put them somewhere cute, or throw in a flower {do not put water in them though}.
I might try red for the twins new room next. Have you guys tried the bottle tinting craze yet?
Days of Chalk & Chocolate
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Liz Marie Blog
Lolly Jane
My Repurposed Life
My Romantic Home
No Minimalist Here
Simple Home Life
Southern Lovely
StoneGable
Tatertots & Jello
The Shabby Nest
Twigg Studios
Under the Table and Dreaming
You're Talking Too Much
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Liz Marie Blog
Lolly Jane
My Repurposed Life
My Romantic Home
No Minimalist Here
Simple Home Life
Southern Lovely
StoneGable
Tatertots & Jello
The Shabby Nest
Twigg Studios
Under the Table and Dreaming
You're Talking Too Much




31 comments:
Your bottles look lovely. I love the shade of blue you got them.
Super cool! You called it a craze.....why am I always late to the party? Ha! Better late than never they say. Gotta try this, thanks :)
What! I have no idea that you could do this to bottles... That is amazing!
I've seen the tinted bottles, but never knew it was this *easy* thanks for filling us in on this fun and beautiful technique!
Mod podge! Awesome! I might make some yellow ones for an upcoming party. Thanks for sharing the "recipe."
I think I'm going to have to try that. They are beautiful! Great post, Deb@LakeGirlPaints
They're really pretty! That could really bump up the cheap decorating possibilities!
Love this tutorial! Thanks...such a fun activity!
I love how they turned out!! much better in blue :) This would look great as a centerpiece with flowers in a few. or even just empty! thanks for posting--I'm pinning this :)
i really really love this! i've been collecting bottles to try it :) i love your blog! you have great taste... adore the pics of your home and the way you decorate! i'm your newest follower :)
I LUV that color. Nice job.
I love this idea! Recently, I found three vintage mason jars at a steal. I think I'll have to tint them.....thanks! Visiting from Link Up with Me, Liz Marie!
I pinned this!
they look terrific!!! xo
I love these, great color!
Love this idea! The color is fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Visiting via TT&J linky.
These are wonderful.
Love & Pinned =)
That is so cool! I had no clue you could tint your own bottles!
i love tinted bottle projects yours turned out great xxx
Hi Rasonda! Love the tute - thanks so much for the clear directions, your bottles turned out a.maz.ing!! I love how you just put them in the white crate...the blue color really pops off the white! I love cream soda too - such a great summer drink! So glad I found your blog, I am your newest follower! Pinned this DIY as well! I have lake cottage dreams too - I grew up on Lake Erie and have hung out and swam many times in Lake Michigan too - gorgeous water!!! Please swing by my blog sometime and say hello...I love to make new bloggy friends :) Heather @ settingforfour.blogspot.com
Thanks so much for sharing the "how-to's" for this! I have been wanting to try it for awhile, but it just kept getting bumped to the bottom of the list. You make it sound so easy, I think it just moved up a few steps on said list....lol!
CAS
I just found you at you are talking too much and am your newest follower-love these bottles!! Hope you stop by and say hello :)
Susan
Too pretty! You make it look easy. I just will have to get off my laziness and try this project....love it!
I LOVE LOVE how this turned out and am sooo going to do this with my mason jars for my wedding in Sept. That blue is the perfect color too. Found you via a blog hop and am now a new follower!
I love the colors of these! Great job! :)
come check out my blog if you get a moment and enter my giveaway! :)
http://munchtalk.blogspot.com
This is so darn cute! Those cream soda bottles have a vintage look to them already so you adding the blue color to them makes them look REALLY vintage. I tried this same method with clear glass ornaments recently to make faux fisherman floats...I was very happy with the results too. I saw your post over at Sunday Showcase.
Hi Rasonda: These are so charming--I've never tried to do this myself, but after seeing your tutorial, I may have to give it a try! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Love your bottles! Great job and thanks for sharing.
The bottles turned out very beautiful, I love the turquoise or teal color. Wonderful project.
Oh my! I love the color of your bottles! Great tute, thanks for sharing at catch as catch can
gail
Is there a way to make this waterproof?
I saw that there is outdoor-grade Mod Podge; I wonder if that would make it waterproof...
Post a Comment