While I did just move to the North Carolina coast, I have already discovered why some many people want to call it home. Combined with efforts from Kendra Thornton, travel expert and avid Chicagoan, we have brought you the best from the South and North.
Wilmington, NC
Fortunately, I got the opportunity to relocate and our family chose this
beautiful area of the state to lay our roots. A town that has Atlantic beaches
on one side and stately pines draped in Spanish moss on the other. It is the
perfect combination of coast meets country. While there are
many things to do here during a visit, all things Wilmington will make the
average person want to live here.
Historic Downtown
![]() |
| Courtesy of: Images of Wilmington |
Different from other places, Wilmington does not use the word historic as a disguise for old and dilapidated. This Port City embraces its rich history, which includes everything from pirate invasions to civil war battles. The pride that Wilmington has for its background is seen in its antique manors, boundless architecture, charming businesses, and beautiful boardwalk all nestled along the banks of the Cape Fear River. The vibrant downtown area is home to a host of quaint coffee shops, local brew houses, eclectic restaurants, and taverns whose music pours onto the streets at nightfall. As you enjoy the magic of downtown be sure to get a lesson in the past by taking a trip aboard the Battleship North Carolina. For those who are looking for something a little more dangerous, a haunted pub-crawl or ghost walk tour may be more your speed.
![]() |
| Coutesy of: Carolina Beach Today |
Eastern North Carolina is chock full of beaches, but Carolina Beach is the sparkling jewel of the Atlantic coast. With its white sand and glistening blue water, this beach is the perfect way to lounge your day away with a good book. Do not forget your binoculars and watch for dolphins that can often be seen from the shore. Its ocean side, dotted with fun and brightly colored watering holes, beach shacks, and antique shops is as charming as it is beautiful. A gorgeous, vintage boardwalk and fishing pier provide many options for the perfect day. However, if your looking for something with a little more vigor, look into one of the many charter fishing excursions, paddleboard and kayak rentals, a bike trip around town, or even a trip to the Fort Fisher Aquarium.
Fresh Seafood
As a lover of everything seafood I chose the perfect place to indulge my palette. Located right next to what is known as the fresh seafood capital of the Carolinas Wilmington has no shortage of fresh and delicious seafood. Everything from, oysters to alligator can be found here. While there are fresh seafood markets everywhere to cook for yourself at home, do not discount the many restaurants from the upscale grills to the off the beaten path dives that provide fresh and local seafood. Places like Bluewater Grill and Fish Bites have been treating Carolinians for years with their delicious menus and fabulous atmosphere’s.
The Film industry- Wilmywood
One the newest attractions to Wilmington is its booming film industry. While Wilmington has been involved in filmmaking for years, its recent big budget endeavors have catapulted Wilmington into Hollywood style fame. The fact that television shows like “Sleepy Hollow” and movies hits such as “Iron Man 3” are clamoring to have Wilmington in its productions is a testament to how special this town really is. It is not uncommon to see a celebrity taking advantage of the cities beauty and it can be the perfect opportunity to boost your own career by becoming an extra in one of the many productions that take place here.
One of the best parts
of Wilmington is that there is a little something for everyone. It is small
enough to not be overwhelming, but big enough to provide everything
you need to satisfy that craving for city life. The beauty here is unparalleled
and whether you’re a city dweller, beachcomber, or a down home county bumpkin
there is something to be offered for everyone. Or if you’re
like me, a combination of three, this maybe the place you need to call home.
Chicago, IL
I was blessed with being born and raised in of one of the
greatest, most vibrant places in the world – Chicago. I love to visit other
cities, and when I am traveling I love seeing how well my hometown compares to
any city in the world. You’d have to live here to see everything, but there are
a few places on my don’t-miss list that I’m happy to share with you!
Lincoln Park Zoo
The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of
Chicago’s oldest attractions, and over the years at his continually been
updated, and up kept, to remain one of the most beautiful attractions in the
city. The zoo opened in 1868, when Lincoln Park Commissioners were given a gift
of a pair of swans. These swans have turned into over 1,250 animals today, and
this is the largest zoo in the city. An absolutely tremendous place to bring
your family, I love coming with my kids to see all this zoo has offer.
Look Down on Chicago
I admit to being a bit afraid of heights, but even I wouldn’t skip
seeing the view from the Willis Tower
SkyDeck. The experience starts with an elevator ride to the 103rd floor.
Then the doors open to an eye-popping view of Chicago, Lake Michigan, and – on
a clear day – three neighboring states! If you dare, step into the SkyDeck, a
glass box made of three layers of half inch glass, all laminated together, and
stand over a thousand feet above the city. The SkyDeck is worth the visit, and
my children still rave about it to this day!
Chicago Living
The absolute best way to experience the amazing downtown is to
stay there for a few nights. This is the ideal way to experience a sunrise jog
through the still-quiet streets, perhaps snapping a few pictures of the lakefront
or Millennium Park. Or watch how the city skyline changes as the sun sets and
the lights come on. It’s difficult to recommend a particular hotel, because
everyone has different expectations and price ranges, so I’ll recommend
gogobot, a great website for
finding a hotel with the features and price you want. The user reviews are
incredibly helpful for finding exactly the right place for your home away from
home.
Chicago Food
Chicagoans love their food, and rightly so! Chicago is home to
every style of food imaginable: ethnic restaurants from all over the world,
fine dining, great deep-dish pizza, and amazing diners. Glenn’s Diner on West
Montrose is an incredible place for, of all things, fresh seafood, with a list of
fresh fish that changes daily. Don’t worry breakfast lovers, it offers
breakfast all day too! Glenn’s is a bit northwest of downtown but conveniently
located at the Montrose station of the Metro brown line.
I could talk all day about
what to see here, but the best advice I can give is to visit, and soon! Walk
around, enjoy the lakefront, attend one of the many scheduled events downtown,
catch a game, take the train, see the museums and shops, or watch a concert or
play. Once you experience Chicago, you will quickly realize why I love it.


8 comments:
I have lived in Wilmington for almost two years now and haven't even touched a quarter of what this beautiful city has to offer. As a college student with a family of my own, any free time I have is spent exploring this historic city. Thank you for all the great information, I now have a few more things to add to my list.
Never been to a Carolina beach....I would love it!! :) Someday...
Rasonda, congratulations on your move! Your post reminds me of our 4 1/2 years in NC. We visited Wilmington often and always dined at the Bluewater Grill! We always picked up s thing or two from The Cotton Exchange as well :). Thanks for reminding me of fond memories, I know you will enjoy your time there!
I know you are enjoying this wonderful relocation for you and your family. Your sister sure is happy to :) Wilmington is a great place, glad you are a NC girl now!!
Paula
What a fun collaboration of both locations. I recall visiting Chicago several times over the years before our travels brought us to where we call home. Being raised in SW Michigan I always thought the Lake was an ocean and Chicago was across the sea! I loved the hustle and bustle and visiting the city at Christmas time was just amazing. My love for a totally different type of water has brought me to the South East and this post reminds me of why I'm still here 20 years later. Thanks for pointing out the best of both worlds, ladies! This was a real treat.
I was born in Chicago also, but I love it here in coastal Carolina. I really enjoyed reading this article. Very we'll written, and I would like to know if you will be continuing with this theme? I would be interested in similar articles, maybe other locations and guest writers.
How fun is this...everyone loves a good comparison and you both gave us plenty to think about. I love the ocean and that amazing salt air, but the windy city is a fantastic place for the yummiest deep dish ever!
Lovely post. I would love to visit Wilmington some day since I now live in. Beaufort, SC.
Post a Comment