If you follow me on Facebook at all you have seen glimpses of my latest project.
I have been searching for the perfect set of curtains for my kitchen sliding glass door forever... like ever {that's a Taylor Swift reference if you are one of the 5 people who haven't heard that song}.
Anyways, with the window being next to the table where my hungry little monsters eat I didn't want to spend a lot of money or waste a lot of time. At one point I almost splurged on some panels that I really did not LOVE just to get the door covered. Then I remembered a post on Pinterest from Shanty 2 Chic and came up with the perfect solution. They were so easy, very inexpensive, and most importantly they look great.
For the fabric I used this drop cloth from Lowe's. The drop cloth trend has probably ended months ago but the fabric has this perfect natural shade that is just fantastic.
I couldn't resist.
I am terrible at sewing and the best thing about this is that the drop cloth is already hemmed so you don't have to worry about those clean edges.
First, I cut the drop cloth in half which leaves me with 2 pieces. Then I ironed each piece pretty good to get my hems a little more clean and get the wrinkles out from the folds.
To hang them, I used oil rubbed drapery rings so they were kind of long.
I pre hung and measured out how much I needed to cut and how much I had leftover so I could have enough room to "hem" my edge. With the way the cut works, you will have "hem" the top part of the drop cloth and the pre hemmed edge with be at the bottom.
After I had everything prepared I used Stitch Witchery from Joann Fabrics to bond the material together with an iron- or "hem". To use, just follow the directions on the package.
Have I mentioned the best part? No sewing!
When everything is measured and bonded to perfection, measure the bottom of the panels {the pre hemmed side} to prepare for the fun part- painting! My bottom stripe was about 2 inches, there was an inch between the two stripes, and the top stripe was about an inch. I used these three colors from Apple Barn to achieve the color I wanted. I mixed the two blues together until I found the perfect shade.
The colors are White, Bimini Blue, and China Blue. Of course you could get crazy here and add more stripes, maybe a chevron pattern, or even stencil it. I wanted to keep it simple.
Now just let them dry, clip them to your drapery rings, and they are ready.
This is one of the simplest projects I have done and I am thrilled with the outcome.
There it is.
Simple.
Easy.
Done... I think the whole project took me two hours and that included drying time.
Did I mention the no sewing thing??
Linked to:




18 comments:
WONDERFUL! i love how these let just enough light in to keep your room nice and cozy! thanks for sharing little lady!
They look awesome! Thanks for sharing ~ gave me some great ideas!
So pretty! I'm dying for new curtains in my bedroom and I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing. I found you via The Shabby Nest. I would love it if you stopped by my DIY cleaning blog. Have a fabulous weekend.
Angela
Such a great idea and easy to make your own design! I always have a hard time finding curtains that are inexpensive in a longer length! This just might be a solution!!
The curtain is to die for and if the drop cloth fabric trend IS over, don't tell me...I'm this close to the "edge" this morning!
Lovin' it!
Craft On & dance like no one else is watching :)
Visiting from Overflowing With Creativity @ It's Overflowing linky party
Smiles,
Suz @MaytagNMom
NW Illinois
My Party Project This Week
I'm looking for curtains too but I keep coming back to this idea, yours turned out perfect, love the paint idea! Oh, and especially the "no sew".
what??? You just painted them??/ I never would have guessed that from the photo.... this is one to remember someday.... lovely!!! Hope you can come join my Tuesday link party with this next week! www.nap-timecreations.com
I am still totally into the drop cloth thing. Maybe I am jumping on the bandwagon a little late too. Love the drop cloth curtain fad. Thanks for sharing with us!
Nope, it's not over. I love drop cloth material! These are super pretty.
I'm visiting from DIY Showoff. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up!
~ Megin of VMG206
www.vmg206.blogspot.com
Lovely drop cloth curtains, like how the blue stripe was painted too, adds a special touch!
These are so adorable! I love the little stripe of color too! I would love if you would share this over at our blog hop! http://www.ablossominglife.com/2013/03/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-16.html
Great Idea, Next time my dog eats my curtains I'll go this route!
I love a great no-sew project, and everything drop cloth! :)
gail
Very pretty and easy! Love the outcome! Now I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my kitchen bay window!!
Selene @Restoration Beauty
Hi, me again from Restoration Beauty! Came back to follow you through google and bloglovin! Thank you for leaving a nice comment on my blog!
Selene @ Restoration Beauty
I hope drop cloths curtains aren't over yet....I hung mine up last year, but I still haven't gotten around to hemming them or making them look nice in any other way. I'm very encouraged by yours...they look great, and I like the sound of "simple" ;)
What?!
The drop cloth magic...was just a trend?!
...and now it's over?!
Can't be.
So, I just found your blog at MRL and I like this little touch of blue on the these fabulous drop cloth curtains.
I say just say no...to the END of drop cloths.
They are so versatile!
-Patricia
So very pretty!
Thanks for linking up this week!
Stacey of Embracing Change
Post a Comment