Before I get into my latest revamp I have to say that I while I love you guys for not wanting to embarrass me, the next time I call Mod Podge Modge Podge, over and over again, please correct me. I have been an avid user of M.P. for at least two years and I cannot believe in all the posts I have written and all the posts I have read, I was calling it MODGE PODGE. I changed my latest post, but I know there are several previous posts that I need the change. I might leave them as a reminder when my head gets momentarily too big that I am a complete idiot.
Ok... so back to furniture. While I have been away from blogland I have still been working on some projects. I am almost done with the Max and Emerson's room and they are loving it. Honestly, I love it too. We read to them at night and sometimes I just like to hang out in there longer than need be. It is fresh, crisp, and peaceful. It really makes me want to paint my whole house that fresh gray color.
One of my last projects for the new room is a new dresser for Max. I found this one online and thought it would perfect for an Anthro makeover.
I wanted to turn that into this ...
I looove this dresser from Anthropologie, but at almost $1000.00 I would have to make it myself. After starting the sanding portion, I realized that this was not going to happen, and if it were, it was going to take a lot more time and materials. Since Max was literally picking his clothes up off the floor for several weeks at this point, time was not a luxury I had. So I thought I would proceed with the nautical theme... and this is what I ended up with this...
I wanted the top to be a deep dark blue so I mixed some of the navy blue I had from the nautical desk with some black acrylic paint and it came out to be the perfect color for the top.
I used primer and then followed with a homemade white chalk paint all over. I added some red stripes down the drawer fronts using the red from the desk makeover.
I distressed it with a 60 grit sandpaper, smoothed it with a 200 grit, then added a clear glaze spray. I knew that if I didn't apply some gloss those fronts by the handles would end up being a grimy mess after a few weeks of dirty fingers. Plus I wanted the top to be rich and shiny, which usually I don't like but I thought it was right for this.
Max loves it of course, I don't know if they would actually tell me if they hated a piece but so far they seemed to love everything.
Have you guys ever started a project with one thing in mind and ended up with something totally different?
DIY Showoff
Domestically Speaking
Embracing Change
It's Overflowing
My Repurposed Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Organize & Decorate Everything
Primitive & Proper
Savvy Southern Style
Shabby Creek Cottage
Southern Lovely
Tatertots & Jello
Twigg Studios
Under the Table & Dreaming
You're Talking Too Much
Domestically Speaking
Embracing Change
It's Overflowing
My Repurposed Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Organize & Decorate Everything
Primitive & Proper
Savvy Southern Style
Shabby Creek Cottage
Southern Lovely
Tatertots & Jello
Twigg Studios
Under the Table & Dreaming
You're Talking Too Much



27 comments:
awesome. you have inspired me to paint something with a strip. Have a great Sunday!!
I love it! I would never have thought to paint stripes.....but it looks great.....I hope you will link up with me here:
http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2012/07/sweet-saturday-link-party-v49.html
Your dresser turned out great!
Looks great! Funny how a piece takes on its own life isn't it? Mod Podge..Modge Podge who's checking :) Have a beautiful week!
Love it! I love nautical themed furniture and you did an amazing job. I also love that dresser from Anthropologie but wouldn't dare spend that kind of money. Anyhow love your dresser makeover!
Well, we've missed you 'round these parts! The chest looks great. I love the original thought, but I really love the nautical look too. Oh, and thanks for talking about the M.P. I too have used it for years and and guaran-darn-tee you I had NOOOOOO idea it was called Mod Podge. I'm with you on the Modge Podge train...shame on me for never actually reading the bottle. In fact, I just had to go look at my bottle to verify that I'm a goober and yep, sure engouh there it is in big letters: MOD PODGE. Well, count that as my lesson for today.
Wow! That turned out fantastic! Very original :)
Susan
Oh this is fabulous! I live in landlocked Missouri and long for the sea and a cottage! I love that nautical stripe and the colors! Great project!
Very cute! And to answer your question, I often start out with one idea and then completely do a 180 and shift the plan. Always seems to turn out better anyway!
Stacey of Embracing Change
All together now....MOD PODGE...MOD PODGE! Now that we have that cleared up...HOT dignity I love that dresser, you did a fab job and I adore the stripes. You asked "ever started a project with one thing in mind.."
I started my front door in May and it's still not done! That's different, right?
Okay, that is great! You did a fantastic job. I might have to copy you!
Thanks for sharing,
Deb@LakeGirlPaints
This is adorable! I just became a follower!
It's really quite perfect! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Talking too Much. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-8.html Hope to see you at the bash. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
love it, rasonda! the stripes are so sweet! i would love to see it in a nautical nursery!
I love it! it stopped me in my tracks.
keya
Love the stripes...I am a sucker for a good stripe:)
Well done!!!
droppin by from organize your stuff now link party.
You did a very good job!
I love the nautical stripe you put down the front of the dresser. It happens all the time that I intend to do one thing and end up doing another. Yours worked out fantastically well.
Dropped by from diy showoff and I just love the dresser. The red stripes really add interest to the front. Its perfect for a kids room.
I also linked a dresser makeover. Check it out!
http://projectsatthepicketts.blogspot.com/2012/08/buh-bye-shiny-wood-veneer.html#
Love it!! You've inspired me :)
Very pretty!
It's perfect! I've almost always started out with one idea and had to morph it, mainly because I can't get the cool idea from my head to come out through my hands. LOL
I love the colors of this dresser and I love, love, love the stripe. I'm your newest follower. COme check out my blog when you have a minute over at: http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com
It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog! Please come by and link up your spaces with Making Space Mondays link party #10. I hope to see you there at www.debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com! -Tabitha
WOW! Such a beauty! Now this is quite the transformation:)Great job!!!
Rasonda! What a great transformation! I love the red and the blue!
blessings,
karianne
I totally love how yours turned out! Love the bold stripe.
Post a Comment