Friday, June 1, 2012

Bathroom Storage- Maximizing Small Spaces

As I work on my current home, I always have my future lake cottage in the back of my mind. I am sure it will be a small home, and I will be so blessed to have even the tiniest home on a beautiful body of water, but it will be imperative that we find ways to maximize our small space. One of the places in our current home {and I am sure my future lake home} that needs the most space saving is in the bathroom. There are many ways to create storage like baskets...
Source

















Wall shelves...
Source





















Towel ladders...
Source





















Magnetic organization...
Source


Or even turning a dresser with drawers into a vanity...
Source
For me shelving was a quick and easy way to create more storage in our guest bathroom. Like most guest baths there is not a ton of wall space so I thought this would be the perfect place for some over the door shelving. I am going to take through a fast tutorial on how to install some over the door shelving with just a few things.













The first step to this project is to measure the area where you are installing the shelf. I installed my shelf over the door in our guest bathroom. It fit perfectly using a three foot piece so I went to Home Depot and had them cut a piece of pine wood (7 1/4 inches) and found these corbels.
Next sand and paint the wood. Use a low grit sandpaper and if you do not like knots or wood imperfections use wood filler to hide the flaws, let dry and sand again. I liked the rustic look so I let the knots show. Also, this is where you would install trim pieces {you can have Home Depot measure those as well} if you want a more finished look. I did not use trim, because of that rustic look I was going for and all.
For the next step you will need to mount the brackets into the wall.
Mount the shelf on top of the doorway trim and mounted brackets. Countersink 2 1- 1/2 inch screws through the shelf and into the brackets {you may need different length screws depnding on the brackets you choose- make sure you place them correctly so they do not pop through the decorative part of the bracket}. Then countersink 3 more 1- 1/2 inch screws evenly through the shelf into the doorway casing.
For the final step caulk the seams and use paint to touch up any holes and/or damage done during the install process.
Actually, I take that back... the final step is the adding of cute decor and bathroom-y stuff and basking in the glow of extra storage!!


I originally created this post for my bloggy buddy Sarah at Adventures of Our Fami-ly. She created a fun and weekly trade school that features fun and creative tips, so be sure to check it out and give her some love over at her blog.

Oh and don't forget to vote on what I should do the with the nautical themed desk for the twins' room!






24 comments:

Jamie said...

Great work, you make it look so easy! Thanks!

allisamazing said...

We have a very small bathroom so storage is always an issue. I never thought of putting a shelf above the door but what a fabulous idea. I am off to do some measuring now :)

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

So cute! Especially with the addition of the accessories. :)

Kim Gillian said...

I Love this idea!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Saw you on A.O.O.F.!
OOoh, like that!

I included an above door solution in our 31 Days to a More Organized Home series - but it was just a plain ordinary shelf. This is so stylish.

We probably won't do that in the bath...but I saw a cool metal and wood rustic shelf by PB for a boys room. I bet I could use your technique, Pottery Barn's rustic elements, and make a really cool shelf for our living room from odds and end in Home Depot.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Blessings,
Dana
CookingAtCafeD.com

Danielle said...

This is such a great idea! We also have a tiny bathroom. I may have to try this above the door storage technique.

Sonny G said...

What a brilliant idea~!

I'll be doing this for sure..

your newest follower, cause I dont want to miss what you do next..
Sonny~ 155 Dream Lane

Anonymous said...

Nice "how to"! Your new storage shelve looks great! Love how you accessorized it. :-)

SoSimple said...

Oh, I love this idea!! It's so adorably brilliant! Great tut too. visiting from Meet Me Monday linky party. Glad I found your blog, now following. Hope you'll visit me at So Simple

Misti @ Living On Cypress Hill said...

I have a friend with a few shelves like this. I had planned to do it in my home, but it got pushed aside. You've inspired me to get with it! :) It looks great!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

great idea for storage!

chateau chic said...

Shelves are a great way to add storage. Your over the door shelf is a great idea for a small bathroom.
Mary Alice

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Pretty and practical...great idea :) Laurel

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this idea! so cute and a great way to be able to add decor to a small space like a bathroom.

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

Great Idea for bathroom storage.

Erin said...

So pretty and functional! And the scrolled corbels are awesome. Are they new? (and if so, where could I find them?!)

Erin @ Carolina Country Living
(visiting from Cowgirl Up)

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

You gave your room a real architectural presence with this shelf and it's cool scrolly brackets. I am going into my bathroom right now to see if this will work for me. I'm pretty sure that since my bathroom is a blank canvas and that area is generally wasted, it will be such a great way to add some interest to the tiny boring space. Thanks. Found you at BNOTP.
Liz

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

What a sweet, kind comment you left me! I'm following now too. I believe I pinned this on my FP pinterest board the other day. Grab a featured button if you like! I love the brackets, the shelf turned out so cute!
♥Linsey

Jessica said...

Love the idea of putting a shelf over a door. Great way to maximize storage without taking up valuable floor or wall space! I love the way you decorated the shelf, too, mixing storage with decor.

Classy Clutter said...

Thanks for linking up to Classy Clutter! I'll be featuring this tonight! I love it! We are corbels twinners! :)

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This looks fabulous, so pretty! Thanks for linking up.
XO
Kristin

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a fantastic project! So smart to take advantage of otherwise wasted space.
Would you consider linking it up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

Lily said...

Lurve this!

Gaylynn said...

Wonderful use of above the door space. You made it into beautiful decor that doubles for storage. Awesome. Here via Donna K. :)